Table of Contents
Workers compensation is a form of insurance that benefits workers who sustain an injury or come into contact with a disease due to their workplace. These injuries range from the usual slip-and-fall cases to severe psychological trauma. Workers compensation also covers any medical condition that develops over sometime during the employment.
How will workers compensation help you?
Workers compensation allows you to get treatment without having to worry about the costs of it. It also provides rehabilitation services if needed to get back to work.
In Australia, many other types of support are also provided, such as domestic help, educational reform, and much more. Worker compensation is in place to protect the working class. Therefore, most of the laws help do just that.
Who can claim workers compensation?
- Claims information: Worker compensation claims may be filed after someone has fallen ill or sustained injuries. The claim is based upon the injury sustained, the type of the disease suffered, monetary damages, and the injured worker’s characteristics like gender, age, and the employer’s time.
- Employer information: employers and Insurers collect all the information on the types of hazards present in the workplace, safety, health care programs, and much more. As the information will help prevent.
Workers compensation is also known as “Workers comp,” In Australia, employers must have insurance to cover their diseases or injuries so everyone is protected.
Types of workers compensation
Workers compensation can vary depending on the insurance company:
- Rehabilitation services: The company can provide continuous care to help rehabilitate you or pay you for the damage.
- Temporary total disability claim: It is compensation for when a worker cannot work temporarily because of an injury or an illness. TTD payments are usually made until the worker has recovered and is back at work
- Death and funeral services: the worker can ask for funeral charges and death compensation if the employee dies at the workplace due to some injury sustained.
- Disability benefits: In case of temporary disability, the company’s insurance company will cover the cost of their well-being for the time being. The coverage is for medical bills and other disability benefits.
- Medical treatments: Last but not least, all medical treatments are covered under the company’s insurance for the injuries sustained at work.
Does the workers compensation cover the whole salary?
The worker’s compensation only covers part of the total salary. There is a way to calculate the amount of the salary or the wage you will be getting while you are on the workers compensation.
If the worker is unfit to perform his pre-injury duties, he will get a weekly allowance.
As we mentioned, the worker will get a percentage of the total wage. The payment rates are as follows:
- Workers are paid 95 percent of their salary for 13 weeks from the first week of being injured. The payment given is also termed PIAWE or pre-injury average weekly earnings.
- From the 13th to the 130th week, the worker is to be paid 80 percent of their PIAWE.
- The compensation also includes any overtime allowance till the 52nd week.
- Usually, the payments last only till the 130th week after the injury has been sustained.
How to make a claim?
For making a claim, there are some steps you need to take for adequate worker compensation.
Notify the employer
The first step is to inform your employer of the injury or disease you have sustained as soon as possible.
Seek medical attention
Seek the advice of a medical practitioner and get the effective treatment needed. The doctor will also advise on what type of injury has occurred, and they will issue you a medical certificate either validating your injury or giving you the green signal for time off from work.
Fill in a claiming form, dispensing on your injury. Some claim forms allow you to fill in the state just by telephone.
In some cases, the employer or the insurance provider will give another thorough medical examination to ensure the damage has been covered. It further tells us what treatments are needed and what is the proper compensation for the injury sustained.
Payments are generally made to the employer, giving it away to the injured party. Check with the local insurance provider and laws for more information on filing a worker’s compensation claim for your injury exactly.
How do the worker compensation claims work?
The insurance provider pays the compensation through the employer. We often state them as “premiums.” These premiums cover most workers, including full-time, part-time, contract-based, and internees.
For filing a claim, you should have contracted some disease or sustained an injury at work.
Worker compensation also covers any employees traveling for work or business-related inquiries.
There are many schemes, so check for what project you are covered for or your local health provider for more information on various insurance policies.
Worker Compensation claims
There are about 11 schemes that are currently available in Australia for worker compensation, with three methods for the people employed by the Commonwealth. The other eight schemes are for the people engaged in various states and territories.
The commonwealth Government schemes are:
- Comcare- Australian commonwealth agencies and their statutory authority are covered under this claim.
- Corporations that have been granted a license to self-insure.
- Department of Veterans Affairs- this is for the Australian defence force members who were in service from 1 July 2004.
The state and territory workers’ compensation schemes:
- NT Work Safe
- Return to work safe
- Safe work NSW
- Work safe ACT
- WorkSafe Victoria
- WorkCover WA
Benefits to the business
Insuring your employers for compensation protects your employees and business from sudden economic losses. It will also reduce the financial impact on businesses.
A good worker-compensation scheme will allow a good employer-employee relationship.
If you think carefully, hiring a new employee or worker from the start is very tough; therefore, worker compensation reduces the cost of training a new employee.
It further demonstrates that the employer values the services the workers provide.
Another great thing about the worker compensation claim is that workers maintain their skills and knowledge as incentives are given to them.
Examples of worker compensation
We have compiled some examples from daily life to elaborate on situations where you can elaborate on worker compensation.
- In a construction zone or building area, if a brick falls on a worker’s head and he is injured, you might seek compensation for the injury.
- The workers can also claim slip and fall injuries at any workplace. But it should be immediately reported to the management or the supervisor before the statute of limitation runs out.
- A worker might also claim for any injury that is caused due to machinery. However, these cases are starting to decrease as many safety measures are added to the dangerous machines.
- A worker who works for more than 10 hours in a harsh environment where he has a lot of lifting to do can also claim worker compensation. A worker might claim the prize for the overexertion from the worker’s insurance.
How important is worker compensation?
Worker compensation claims are significant for both the employer and the employee. It regulates the relationship between the two while protecting their rights. When workers sign a contract of employment, they also place their trust in the hands of the employers.
More important, it also gives employers a sense of responsibility for the safety of the employees.
The insurance also provides no-fault coverage, which means the workers are fully insured even if the worker is partially responsible for the act. Furthermore, the worker’s compensation raises the company’s brand value and provides a good front for the business. It also attracts experienced individuals who are always an asset to the company.
Why is United Legal the best choice?
Worker compensation is a challenging claim to follow through with numerous paperwork to complete and the tedious little steps to claim the compensation from your employer’s insurance.
At United Legal, we have the expertise to deal with compensation claims. Our lawyers have the skills, experience, and right attitude to do the job.
During the case, we require complete transparency on your part so we can successfully make a claim. As a small law firm, we focus on our clients more rather than the fame, and we ensure that booking a consultation with us will help you get a more precise picture of your situation.
Talk to United legal today about worker compensation and see where you stand!